Filed under News

UIS student Denton-McCaster charged with Mechanicsburg murder

UIS student Juatasha Denton-McCaster, 22, charged with three counts of first-degree murder of her husband, Norman McCaster, is in the Sangamon County Jail on a $5 million bond.

Denton-McCaster has also been charged with dismembering a body, concealment of a homicidal death, and obstruction of justice.

The charges were filed this week. Denton-McCaster attended her first court hearing Wednesday.

Authorities identified Norman McCaster, 22, as the man whose headless, handless and footless was body found dumped in a field in rural Mechanicsburg in late October.

Derek Schnapp, UIS director of public relations, confirmed Wednesday that Denton-McCaster was an undergraduate in liberal studies.

Schnapp said that all persons, faculty, staff or student, who pose a possible threat to campus security are placed under review by the administration. For students, this follows the steps in the Disciplinary Code under Polices and Procedures from Student Affairs.

He also said that there is a different type of review for cases like this one that occur off-campus than there would be for crimes that take place on-campus. “When it comes to off-campus incidents, outside law enforcement and other entities are involved with the process and how the individual is dealt with,” said Schnapp. No matter if a crime occured on-campus or off, the administration may look into the case and decide whether that individual should be allowed on campus, or what risk to security may be involved.

Reviews may those charged with crimes followed through to if a person receives a conviction. On a case-by-case basis, the administration will determine if a person’s charges need to be reviewed and if the person should be subject to suspension or expulsion from the university. Schnapp also stated that the university cannot disclose if a student is under review by the administration due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

• UIS student Denton-McCaster charged with Mechanicsburg murder

Campus Event Pics

ECCE workshop challenges students to see ‘Beyond Binaries’

Old debates and new senators at Campus Senate

• Academics

UIS United Faculty votes for potential strike

Reviewing the referenda

• Campus News

SGA adopts nine new resolutions in one of their last meetings

• Campus News

New resolution debates and potential policy changes

News

SGA candidate profiles

Campus lighting, new appointments, and student fee allocations among the issues discussed

SAB renovations to prepare for UIC nursing program move-in

Journal Archives

Illinois General Assembly update