American work-life balance, unbalanced

American work-life balance, unbalanced

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 23, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion, Top Stories

Ahh, I’m also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too. If Initech was located in France, Lumbergh wouldn’t have been able to ask Peter to come in on the weekend in the movie “Office Space.” Recent reports from France claimed the government was banning employees from... Read More »

Disconnect to connect: Social media takes over

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 16, 2014

How often do you check Facebook? Once or twice a day? A few times a day? Hourly? If you’re anything like me, you look at it way too often. I’ve found I do it mostly out of boredom; and really, who can blame me? According to The Social Skinny, with 510 new added comments, 293,000 updated statuses... Read More »

Hair, there, everywhere

Hair, there, everywhere

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 9, 2014

Have you seen the university’s latest horticultural experiment? If you’re a guy, probably not because it’s in the women’s restroom in UHB. The university has decided to grow a gaggle of chia pets in the stalls of the women’s restrooms in UHB. I’m not sure how they’ve managed this disgusting... Read More »

No peace in Phelps’ death

No peace in Phelps’ death

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

I’m mildly disappointed. I thought the death of such a vile man would bring me a little peace – and though I hate to say it – maybe even a little joy. Instead, as with most deaths I’ve experienced, there’s only sadness. Fred Phelps, the founder of Westboro Baptist Church died March 19, 2014.... Read More »

‘One pack of Puff Dragons, please’

‘One pack of Puff Dragons, please’

Julia Brown
March 14, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features, Top Stories

There is a great possibility that the creators of the Showtime series “Weeds” may have been psychic. In the last episode of the series, marijuana could be purchased in packs at gas stations much like cigarettes and the dispensaries (eventually owned by Starbucks) were more like coffee shops than... Read More »

Real men have curves

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

This week, I am going to start my column by placing my soapbox firmly on the ground and standing upon it. I am, what society considers, a big girl. I have been for as long as I can remember. I was ecstatic when the fashion industry began imposing weight requirements for their skin and bone models... Read More »

NFL draft pick tackles stereotype

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 19, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Recently, a young man made a daring and admirable move that has turned the sports world on end. Michael Sam plays football for the University of Missouri where he helped his team win the Cotton Bowl this year and was named the Associated Press’ defensive player of the year in the Southeastern Conference.... Read More »

Sochi Olympics: Politics and the LGBTQ community

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 19, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Imagine your government telling you that the way you are is not only immoral but illegal. Imagine holding the hand of the one you love and putting yourself at risk of being fined, imprisoned or even harmed at the hands of your fellow citizens. These are just some of the perils faced by the LGBTQ community... Read More »

Good role models are humble, inspiring, honorable

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 12, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

In fifth grade my class was given the task of writing an essay describing our role models. Most people wrote about their parents. I wrote about Jackie Robinson. In our lessons on what makes a role model, I don’t remember any distinction between good or bad role models – just role models. Recently,... Read More »

NEWS FLASH

NEWS FLASH

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 4, 2014

"When I was your age, I had to walk uphill both ways in 10 feet of snow with no shoes!" I’ve started to feel like a little old lady about all this cold weather and cancelled school. I guess when you get to a certain age, you know that no matter the weather, life doesn’t stop. Unfortunately,... Read More »

Politically correct or walking on eggshells?

Julia Brown, Columnist
January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

The world is full of people of different backgrounds, religions and views. Respecting everyone’s differences is very important. Thus, in theory, it makes sense to try to be politically correct. However, we’ve become too concerned with being politically correct. In trying not to offend anyone,... Read More »

Rock to the Rescue gives to tornado victims

Julia Brown, General Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Features

Illinois people help Illinois people, said Champaign native, Kevin Cronin to an arena filled with applause. The lead singer of REO Speedwagon, Cronin and his band took the stage with several other classic rock acts to raise money for the victims of the recent tornado outbreak in Illinois. Rock... Read More »

Holiday cheer, more like holiday jeers

Julia Brown, Columnist
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Christmas time is here is a classic carol heard this time of year in almost every store. It sings of “happiness and cheer,” “families growing near” and wishing the spirit of Christmas lasted all year. That’s all fine and dandy if your holidays are full of happiness and cheer.... Read More »

Affordable camp for Illinois children

Julia Brown, Columnist
November 13, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

For many children, camp is a rite of summer passage. Summer isn’t quite complete without the outdoors, swimming, new friends and a week away from family. However, for many children summer camp is a distant dream, something their parents could never afford. It isn’t a small feat to send a child... Read More »

Graffiti group brings art and culture to Springfield

Julia Brown, Columnist
November 6, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Since I was little, I’ve loved watching trains chug by. The slower the train is moving the better. It gives me a better look at the, often beautiful, artwork that graces the sides of the cars. Graffiti is a form of art that has the world divided. Many think of it as an amazing talent that uses untraditional... Read More »

The death of horror films

Julia Brown, Columnist
October 30, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

It’s the season for horror films. With several cable channels featuring a month of scary movies to celebrate Halloween, it’s easy to get lost in the ghosts, gore and creepy lore. Unfortunately, it is increasingly hard to scare the general public. The horror industry has become a culture of one-upsmanship,... Read More »

Behind the scenes of the Auburn Haunted House

Julia Brown, General Reporter
October 30, 2013
Filed under Archives, Features

Scrambling through the dark with ghouls and goblins frightening you at every turn. Haunted houses are meant to be terrifying. They’re meant to get your blood pumping, your senses heightened and your heart racing. At least that’s what Sarah Kidder hopes happens to patrons of the Auburn Haunted House. “We... Read More »

From scary to sexy: Scantily clad costumes shame Halloween

Julia Brown, Columnist
October 23, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Each year, Halloween gets more disgusting. I’m not talking about the guts and gore surrounding this gruesome holiday. In fact, that doesn’t really offend me. I love the guy’s decorations this year that were so realistic his neighbors called to report a dead body. I have issues with the costumes,... Read More »

Twerking hits America like a wrecking ball

Julia Brown, Columnist
October 16, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

It seems the country is divided on a hot topic these days. It isn’t anything to do with health care or the government shut down. No, it is much more important than that. Twerking. People either love or hate this dance craze made popular by Miley Cyrus. She’s been seen twerking in a unicorn... Read More »

A lap bar between life and death

A lap bar between life and death

Julia Brown, Columnist
October 9, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

The slow click, click, click as you are pulled toward the sky. The feeling of your stomach jumps into your throat as you plummet back toward the ground, getting disoriented as you fly through the cork screw, not really knowing if you’re going up or down. Most people know all about riding roller... Read More »

Violence rips through the Windy City

Violence rips through the Windy City

Julia Brown, Columnist
October 2, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Imagine being afraid to walk out your front door, never knowing if you’ll return home from a quick trip to the corner store. Imagine witnessing friends and family being gunned down in the street. While this may seem like a picture from a war torn country far from the United States, this is life... Read More »

The fine line between an enjoyable ride and an ambulance ride

Julia Brown, Columnist
September 25, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

The wind in your hair, the sun on your skin, the smell of leather, and the open road in front of you, motorcycle season is in full swing. Unfortunately, so is motorcycle accident season. I work at a hospital and in the last couple of months I’ve seen a big increase in patients who have suffered... Read More »

Think before you act: The importance of choosing a vet

Think before you act:  The importance of choosing a vet

Julia Brown, Columnist
September 18, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Whether a dog, cat, or chinchilla person, many people with pets treat them like family. Often lovingly referring to them as our babies, we pamper, dress and spoil them with special treats or expensive food. Unfortunately, it is easy to forget about our loved one’s physical health until something is... Read More »

The bathroom blues: Paper towels, waste and germs

Julia Brown, Columnist
September 12, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

How many months does it take for a university to fix a paper... Read More »

Icebreakers: First impressions

Julia Brown, Columnist
August 28, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

"Welcome class. Let’s start the semester off by getting to know your classmates a little better." Queue the scary music…bum…bum…buuuummmmm! In all actuality, “get to know you” questions could be a lot of fun. However, most of the time it ends up with 30 people telling each other... Read More »

Take a deep breath

Julia Brown, Columnist
July 26, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Everyone always talks about stress at the end of the semester with papers, finals, and making plans for the summer. People forget that at the beginning of the semester, students can be worried about a number of things as well. It can be stressful trying to get back into the swing of things after summer... Read More »

The Bible, as seen on TV

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 30, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Many claim it is the greatest story ever told, taking over 1,600 years to write and becoming the best selling book of all time. Its stories have been told and retold, through word of mouth, movies, television specials, singing vegetables, and as allusions in most of our favorite contemporary literature. The... Read More »

Challenge yourself, tell the truth

Challenge yourself, tell the truth

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 23, 2013
Filed under Opinion

No mas pantalones, is a line from one of my favorite commercials. You know, the one where the saying “liar, liar, pants on fire” comes true and the insurance salesmen’s pants burst into flames with each obvious lie. Folk stories and popular culture alike are full of cautionary tales against... Read More »

It’s high time for the legalization of marijuana

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 17, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Pot, weed, reefer. Whatever your pet word for marijuana may be, April 20 is the day to celebrate it. There are as many myths behind how April 20, commonly referred to as 420, became a stoner holiday, as there are nicknames for the plant. There are claims that it has something to do with Hitler’s... Read More »

How do you tell the difference between being protective vs. aggressive?

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 10, 2013
Filed under Opinion

My dogs are my family and it is almost inconceivable for me to imagine police shooting my loved ones. Yet, according to Commander Ken Winslow of the Springfield Police Department, they have the right to do just that. “If it comes at an officer or they think it might harm another person, the officers... Read More »

Driving skills fail when snow falls

Driving skills fail when snow falls

Julia Brown, Columnist
April 3, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Cars on ice. It sounds like a new Disney spectacular but, in reality, driving on ice and snow can lead to skidding, sliding, injury and even death. Driving in the snow is nothing new for the people of Central Illinois, but it seems like all our driving skills go right out the window with the first... Read More »

Getting inked: An anecdote about my tattoo

Julia Brown, Columnist
March 27, 2013
Filed under Opinion

A lot of people wouldn’t find being stabbed repeatedly with up to 27 needles at one time enjoyable. However, I just can’t get enough. I’m not saying I’m addicted to tattoos as many claim to be. I only have six tattoos, mostly small, barely noticeable, or completely covered by clothing. My... Read More »

E-books vs. print book: The struggle between old and new technology

Julia Brown, Columnist
March 5, 2013
Filed under Opinion

When a new technology emerges, there is always talk about what will happen to the outdated product. It happened with vinyl records when CDs were introduced and with CDs when MP3s came out. It happened with the VHS when DVDs came out and DVDs when Blu-Ray was introduced. Now the question is what... Read More »

Anonymous sources ‘hurt the reputation of journalism,’ some say

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 26, 2013
Filed under Opinion

There used to be a time in journalism when using an anonymous source was a big deal. “In my experience with common, normal, journalism publications, any that I have worked for, have a written or even unwritten rule that you didn’t use unnamed sources unless you had a compelling reason. Even then,... Read More »

Pope resigns, shocks world

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 20, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Ladies and gentlemen, the Pope has left the building. Well, not quiet yet. On Feb. 11, Pope Benedict XVI, in true Catholic style, announced, in Latin, his resignation from his role of the Bishop of Rome. Being raised Catholic, I almost chocked on my donut when I saw the news. I had no idea that... Read More »

No love for Valentine’s Day: The origins of this ‘Hallmark holiday’ has little to do with love

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 12, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Valentine’s Day usually invokes visions of flowers, cards, a nice dinner, those candy hearts that taste like chalk and diamonds (if you’re lucky). That’s exactly why I hate Valentine’s Day. It has become a “Hallmark holiday,” where the amount one spends on his/her beloved is more important... Read More »

Technology created a generation of idiots

Julia Brown, Columnist
February 6, 2013
Filed under Opinion

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, Albert Einstein is thought to have said. The world will have a generation of idiots. I fear that day has come. With each new-fangled device or fun app, people withdraw deeper into the world of technology. Instances... Read More »

Schedule difficulties for nontraditional students

Julia Brown, Columnist
January 29, 2013
Filed under Opinion

By the third week of the semester, most of us are used to our new class schedules. We’ve figured out how long we can sleep in before being late, how long it takes to get to class, and about how long the reading assignments are going to take. However, if you are a nontraditional student trying to... Read More »

Holiday mad dash

Holiday mad dash

Julia Brown, Columnist
December 4, 2012
Filed under Opinion

The holidays can be a stressful time. You’ve got to find the right present for everyone on your list, the money to buy those presents, and time to visit everyone who you’ve bought gifts for. Time is my biggest issue every year. Many people these days don’t belong to a traditional family. There... Read More »

Camera one, camera two

Julia Brown
November 7, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Do you remember the old paper 3-D glasses with the red and blue plastic lenses? They worked half the time, the other half you were looking at a discolored, fuzzy picture. Nowadays, patrons are given an actual pair of glasses that remind me of cheap sunglasses. I am even the proud owner of some nifty... Read More »