Senior athletes share their Prairie Star experience

Daniell Bennett, Assistant Editor for Sports
May 7, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features, Sports, Top Stories

UIS Athletics will send off 41 seniors this year including two men’s basketball players, 13 baseball players, four men’s soccer players, two men’s tennis players, five women’s basketball players, one women’s golf player, six women’s soccer players, five softball... Read more »

UIS wins one, loses one in final series of regular season

April 30, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS headed to Lewis University’s home turf April 27 to battle in a doubleheader, which was UIS’ final series of the regular season. Neither team came out victorious after Game 1 went to the Flyers at 0-1 and the Prairie Stars took Game 2 at 7-3. The first game of the doubleheader was a low scoring... Read more »

Prairie Stars’ futures look bright

April 30, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The winning records of both UIS’ baseball and softball teams have all of campus looking forward to the rest of the season. The UIS baseball team currently has a 23-18 record. Coach Chris Ramirez said he is happy with the players' ability to handle the transition with the new coaching staff in place. The... Read more »

Second Chances Thrift Store for a cause

Kaitie Devlin and Daniell Bennett
April 30, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features

We’ve all heard it – Macklemore’s hit song “Thrift Shop.” It blasts on the radio and sticks in your head for hours. And with the recent thrift store hype, Kaitie Devlin decided to open her own pop-up, pay-what-you-can thrift store this past week – Second Chances Thrift Store. Alongside... Read more »

UIS wins one, loses one against McKendree

April 23, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The Prairie Stars managed a 2-run lead against McKendree in the first game of the night, but after multiple homeruns by McKendree, the Prairie Stars fell in game two, 8-0. The first game ended with a 5-2 score. The top of the first inning did not see much action. One hit by McKendree enabled senior... Read more »

Prairie Stars hold winning record despite losing three of five games

April 16, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The UIS baseball team traveled to Macomb, Ill. and Romeoville, Ill. last week to play in five games, finishing the week with two wins and three losses. The Prairie Stars started off their first game of the week with a three run first inning with an RBI single by junior Alex Bradley and two RBIs by... Read more »

Unexpected results in NCAA tournament

April 16, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

Upsets and ruined brackets were the major scenes during the first rounds of the NCAA tournament, which led to the surprise ending in which University of Connecticut (UCONN) walked away with the win. The NCAA game on April 7 featured a seven seed Connecticut and an eight seed Kentucky. This tournament... Read more »

Men’s basketball coach not returning next season

April 9, 2014
Filed under Archives, News, Sports, Top Stories

Although the team managed to make it to the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) this season, men’s basketball coach Ben Wierzba has not been asked back for another season. Wierzba finished his fourth season as the men’s head basketball coach in early March, finishing with a 10-18 record. UIS... Read more »

UIS holds winning record despite four straight losses to Southern Indiana

April 9, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS started out the week strong with two wins against McKendree but faltered when facing Southern Indiana, dropping all four games. “McKendree was our first mid-week conference double header. This was something new for us and I didn’t know what to expect,” said Coach Ramirez. In the first... Read more »

Player profile: Jared Massengill

Player profile: Jared Massengill

April 9, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

With a .453 batting... Read more »

Men’s and Women’s teams end tournaments as expected

April 9, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s golf surpassed coaches’ expectations in two-day tournament, with the women’s golf team also holding their own, finishing ninth and eighth respectively. The men’s golf team played in Cincinnati this weekend, finishing The Jewell with a 605 two-day tournament score. This tournament... Read more »

Hunger never takes a vacation

Hunger never takes a vacation

April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features, Top Stories

Twenty-five UIS students spent four days volunteering in an effort to help with hunger and homelessness in the nation’s capital as a part of Alternative Spring Break (ASB). Over the course of four days, students ventured to over six different sites that catered to the needs of people in Washington... Read more »

No found success against Southern rivals

April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS fought hard in the first set of away games against GLVC opponents McKendree and Bellarmine, but slowly headed south creating a 1-7 away-game record. The Prairie Stars got on the board first in the second inning with a bunt by freshman Alexa McClaughry that scored junior Jordyn Amos. McKendree... Read more »

UIS wins one, loses one against S. Indiana

April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS finished the double header against Southern Indiana by adding one loss and one win to their record, the games ended with 1-3 and 4-1 scores. The first four innings were uneventful, with no runs for the either team. Both UIS and Southern Indiana made hits in the second inning but were unable to... Read more »

UIS baseball soars past the Eagles in double header

April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports, Top Stories

UIS swept Robert Morris University in a double header, finishing both games in five innings after run-ruling the Eagles. The first game of Wednesday evening ended with a 12-2 score. UIS continued their run in the second game, finishing with an 11-1 score. Robert Morris started off the first game... Read more »

Campus crime UIS mirrors UIUC

Daniell Bennett
March 14, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features

Although ranging drastically in student population, UIS and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) both have surprisingly similar crime rates per person. With seven occurrences in the past three years, UIS Police Officer Dave Yemm said that theft is the most common crime on UIS’ campus.... Read more »

Strong first half by Stars not enough to overcome Rangers

February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS faced UW-Parkside in a game that saw six lead changes in the first half and a less eventful second half. UW-Parkside gained a large lead in the second half and ended the game on top, 68-52. The Prairie Stars were strong competitors in the first 20 minutes of Saturday’s game. The UW-Parkside... Read more »

Rangers send Prairie Stars packing

February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

After forty minutes of battling, UIS finally surrendered to Great Lakes Valley Conference rival UW-Parkside, 83-74. Senior guard Brandon Snowden pulled off another strong game, scoring 19 points and making two steals to put the Prairie Stars in a position to win. However, UW-Parkside player Jimmy... Read more »

UIS says farewell to senior basketball players

UIS says farewell to senior  basketball players

February 26, 2014

With various athletic and academic achievements, seven senior basketball players’ time at UIS will be commemorated as they face their final games on Feb. 27. Megan Bergerud, Elizabeth Kelly, Alyssa Palmer, Mallory Beck, Alicia Kueker, Brandon Snowden and Regan Bruenger are the men’s and women’s... Read more »

UIS golf thaws out in Mississippi with a win

February 19, 2014

UIS men’s and women’s golf took to the road Feb. 16 and 17 to compete in the Frito Lay Intercollegiate tournament in Philadelphia, Miss. Coach Frank Marsaglia was expecting a slow start from the teams due to the Midwest’s plague of snow. He added, however, “As soon a we can get outside…they... Read more »

Softball hits for the Stars in 2014

Softball hits for the Stars in 2014

February 19, 2014

The UIS softball team is just weeks away from their regular season debut and looking forward to it. Coach Mat Mundell explained that the girls have set “lofty goals” for themselves this season. The women’s softball team will comprise of 21 players, with the majority of the players being new.... Read more »

UIS softball begins season 4-2

February 19, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS softball faced “great competition” at the three-day UAM 8-State Division II Softball Classic, ending with a 4-2 record. Coach Mat Mundell said the “first tournament of the season is about exploring and feeling out your team… [a chance] to get the new pieces together with the old pieces.” The... Read more »

Drury Panthers pounce on Prairie Stars

Drury Panthers pounce on Prairie Stars

February 12, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

Despite season-high defensive numbers, UIS came up short in their matchup with Drury with a final score of 66-59. The Prairie Stars forced 22 turnovers in Saturday afternoon’s game. This effort was led by senior guard Brandon Snowden who set a program record with 10 steals. Snowden also added 16... Read more »

UIS adds tradition through Hall of Fame

UIS adds tradition through Hall of Fame

February 12, 2014

UIS Athletics and the Alumni Association came together to connect past and present through the implementation of a UIS Hall of Fame. Included in the soon-to-be hall are former athletes, coaches, teams, and friends of the university. Director of Athletics Kim Pate explained that the hall of fame will... Read more »

UIS perishes under Panthers’ power

UIS perishes under Panthers’ power

February 12, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The Prairie Stars stuck with the Drury Panthers early in the first half until a 22-9 run by the Panthers gave them the lead and eventually the win. The Prairie Stars sported pink jerseys to support breast cancer awareness and fundraising in the match against Drury. UIS had twice as many points in... Read more »

New baseball field for campus

February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

Along with a new coach, UIS men’s baseball now has the opportunity to play on campus this semester for the first time. Coach Chris Ramirez has been a big proponent to this new field initiative. Ramirez is excited for this field because it will benefit the team and the fans too. In the past,... Read more »

UIS student athletes play double roles

February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS student athletes not only play their position on the field, but they also fulfill their positions as students. In fall of 2013 there were 116 student athletes that achieved a 3.0 grade point average or higher. Thirty of these students received Coaches’... Read more »

Coach profile: Chris Ramirez

February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s baseball gained a new head coach this year. Coach Chris Ramirez is from Fort Madison, Iowa, but also spent the past six years in Texas coaching baseball. In Texas, Ramirez was the assistant coach and the recruiting coordinator for Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Prior to... Read more »

Four players added to 2015 softball roster

January 29, 2014

With six seniors graduating in 2014, UIS softball aimed to restock their roster by signing four new players. Three of these players come from high school teams and one from a local junior college. Each player, though, will bring varying strengths and abilities to the 2015 UIS softball team. Brittany... Read more »

Prairie Stars outrun by Greyhounds

Prairie Stars outrun by Greyhounds

January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS women’s basketball began a shortfall early in their game against University of Indianapolis, causing the team to undergo their eleventh loss of the season. The game ended with a final score of 73-51. UIS received the first point but lost the lead soon after. The Prairie Stars were down 26-18... Read more »

UIS suffers two back-to-back losses

UIS suffers two back-to-back losses

January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The Prairie Stars faced great upsets against McKendree University and the University of Indianapolis this past week. After 45 minutes of back and forth combat in Monday’s game against McKendree, UIS was defeated by only two points. UIS ended the first half with a four point lead over McKendree,... Read more »

Prairie Stars suffer tough upset to the Oaks

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS’ comeback against the Oakland City University Oaks ended with an upset for the Prairie Stars. After being down by a least two points for the entire game, UIS was able to tie the game in the final minutes. Unfortunately, Oakland City University overpowered the Prairie Stars and won the game 73-71. Oakland... Read more »

Men’s golf team young but talented

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s golf has finished its fall season after five tournaments. Frank Marsaglia stated that the season went “pretty well.” The men’s golf team is a “very young team” according to Marsaglia, adding that the team will “probably have one junior, one sophomore, and three freshman on... Read more »

Hoops to date

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Men’s basketball outlook: The UIS men’s basketball team is off to a 2-4 start at the beginning of the season. Coach Ben Wierzba stated, “We’re continuing to get better for these first three or four weeks.” UIS men’s basketball has played in seven games so far this season.... Read more »

Player Profile: Megan Bergerud

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Senior Megan Bergerud set the UIS women’s basketball record for the only player to make 1,000 points in a career. Not only can Bergerud shoot but she can also play many other positions as well. Coach Chad Oletzke described Bergerud as “versatile.” Bergerud is a senior business management major... Read more »

Jobs that need to ‘get done’

Jobs that need to ‘get done’

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
November 13, 2013
Filed under Archives, Features

UIS students are offered a variety of on-campus jobs each semester. Contrary to what students may think, the dirtiest on-campus jobs turn out to be not so dirty after all. Two “dirty” jobs available to UIS students are food service and cleaning crew. These jobs require student workers to clean... Read more »

UIS volleyball frustrating loss to Drury

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
November 6, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Drury University defeated UIS volleyball in four sets, 20-25, 25-23, 24-26, 22-25.  Although the teams were pretty “even,” JoAnna Hoffman said that UIS made more mistakes than Drury and that it’s “not easy losing to an opponent you could have beat.” The first set went to Drury with a five... Read more »

Player Profile: Kellee Mahaffay

Player Profile: Kellee Mahaffay

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
November 6, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

A four year player for UIS, senior Kellee Mahaffay feels it is her duty to be the leader and role model for the team’s underclassmen. Coach Noelle Rooke describes her as the team’s offensive go-to. Prior to playing for UIS, Mahaffay played for her high school volleyball team and club teams. She... Read more »

Men’s soccer finishes season off strong

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
November 6, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s soccer finished the season with a win, to ensure UIS’ new record for the most wins in Division II play. The Prairie Stars faced 4-11-1 McKendree University and ended the game with a 5-2 score. UIS gave up a goal in the first few minutes of the game to create a goal deficit of one. Junior... Read more »

Quincy proves too much for UIS, Stars defeated

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 30, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Women’s Game The Prairie Stars put up a fight against No. 9 Quincy University but eventually surrendered due to the strength they brought to the field. The game ended with a 2-0 score. UIS took two shots the entire game, while Quincy made 14 total. Both of UIS’ shots were on target but... Read more »

Big Pink Tournament… to be continued

Big Pink Tournament… to be continued

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 30, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

In an effort to raise awareness and donations for breast cancer research, Rec Sports hosted the Big Pink Volleyball Tournament, utilizing a 4-foot in diameter, hot pink volleyball. The game did not last long, as the ball was popped and unable to be replaced. The tournament was scheduled for Oct. 27... Read more »

UIS volleyball down two matches, comes back to win

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 23, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

After being down two sets, UIS volleyball rallied for the next three, giving them the win against Lindenwood University. In Tuesday night’s game at TRAC, Lindenwood won the first set by two points. The beginning of the set was close, when Lindenwood surpassed UIS by four to five points at multiple... Read more »

Player profile: JoAnna Hoffman

Player profile: JoAnna Hoffman

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 23, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

After getting double digits in kills, assists, points and digs, junior JoAnna Hoffman now has 547 assists, 85 kills, and 148 digs this season alone. Hoffman stated that she “absolutely loves UIS” and that the volleyball team’s closeness is one of her favorite aspects of life on campus. The players... Read more »

Men’s soccer unable to hold back UMSL

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 23, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS faced the University of Missouri St. Louis with hopes of ending their losing streak, but instead they increased it to four. UMSL swept UIS 2-0 in the 90-minute game. In Friday night’s game, both UIS and UMSL were unable to make a goal during the first half. UMSL made their first goal in the... Read more »

Volleyball loses over weekend

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 23, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS volleyball had a rough weekend, losing both away matches to Southern Indiana and Bellarmine. While facing Southern Indiana on Friday, UIS lost all sets by seven points of more. The first match was the closest in points for UIS and ended 25-18. The next two matches ended 25-17 and 25-15. Southern... Read more »

Player profile: Rachel Neudahl

Player profile: Rachel Neudahl

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 16, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

As a back line player, senior Rachel Neudahl has been a strong leader for UIS according to Coach Molly Grisham. Neudahl has played soccer for 12 years now and this is her fourth year playing for UIS. She is a defender for the Prairie Stars and has even been able to score a goal this season. Neudahl... Read more »

UIS soccer struggles over weekend, loses to Lewis University

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 16, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Men’s game: UIS 0, Lewis 2  UIS men’s soccer was unable to keep up with 8-0-4 Lewis University, the game ended with a 2-0 win for Lewis. The Prairie Stars held their ground but No. 11 Lewis University overpowered them.Sunday afternoon’s game was close but Lewis University began... Read more »

UIS women’s soccer unable to stop losing streak

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 16, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS was unable to sneak past UW-Parkside’s defense in their Friday afternoon game, finishing the game 3-0 with a Rangers win. UIS goalkeeper junior Robin Damron was unable to block three of the nine shots that were on target from UW-Parkside. The Rangers goalkeeper freshman Mallory Geurts blacked both... Read more »

Men’s soccer stumbles in game against UW-Parkside

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 16, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

After gaining a two goal lead, UIS slipped and allowed the UW-Parkside Rangers to score three goals to take the game, 3-2. Sophomore Mark Williams led the UIS offense, scoring both of the Prairie Stars’ goals in Friday evening’s game. The Rangers now have a record of 6-4-1, UIS became 5-7. The... Read more »

Men’s soccer wins homecoming game, starts weekend off right

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 9, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Men’s soccer won their Homecoming game against Saint Joseph’s, 3-1. Junior Nikita Fadeev, senior Mark Czarny and sophomore Brian Lucas made goals for UIS. In the last few minutes of the game, UIS gave up a goal to sophomore Jacub Sutowski for Saint Joseph’s. The first half was uneventful,... Read more »

Program helps bring soccer to Belize youth

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 9, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS’ men’s and women’s soccer teams came together to support a cause close to home, Balls 4 Belize. The project was started by John Krohe alongside Ian Mork and Rene Montero and looks to collect soccer gear for less fortunate youth. Belize, a Central American country, has thousands of youth... Read more »

UIndy overpowers men’s soccer

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 9, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Unable to catch up to UIndy, Sunday, UIS’ men’s soccer finished the game with one goal, 3-1. UIndy gained their 3-0 lead by the middle of the second half. UIS’ now stands 5-6-0, and UIndy 6-2-2. The UIndy Greyhounds scored the first goal of the game in the eighth minute. The goal was made... Read more »

Player Profile: Sara Baker

Player Profile: Sara Baker

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 2, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Big offensive threat. This is what Coach Noelle Rooke calls senior volleyball player Sara Baker. Baker is not only leading the UIS volleyball team in kills, but she is leading in the conference in kills. During the match against Maryville Baker had her season high of 19 kills in one... Read more »

Volleyball loses first away match

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 2, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS women’s volleyball lost three straight sets to Truman State University on Friday. The first set ended 25-16, the closest of all three sets. The second and third set both had a 25-14 final score. There were three ties in the first set, two ties in the second set and none in the third. UIS... Read more »

Hawks go for the kill: Men’s soccer falls to Rockhurst

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 2, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

After a 1-0 victory against William Jewell on Friday, the Prairie Stars ended their game against Rockhurst with a 4-0 loss. Rockhurst became 6-1-1, and UIS 4-5-0. Rockhurst is currently ranked 20th and were last year’s Great Lakes Valley Conference Champions. The Rockhurst Hawks gained their lead... Read more »

Women’s soccer injuries peak, Furumi to the rescue

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
October 2, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Originally from Tokyo, Japan, Tenshi Furumi came to UIS as the assistant athletic trainer for women’s soccer and baseball. After working with the University of West Alabama and Coastal Caroline University, Furumi returned to the Midwest for the weather, friends and UIS. Furumi’s interest in... Read more »

UIS men’s soccer falls short against Missouri S&T

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 25, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

The Prairie Stars lost their second game in a row after going into double overtime against the Missouri S&T Miners, Sunday, 2-3. After leading the game for 89 minutes, UIS allowed Missouri S&T to score, tying the game 2-2. During the second overtime, the Miners got a shot past UIS goalkeeper... Read more »

Player profile: Paige Polonus

Player profile: Paige Polonus

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 25, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

An unexpected leader is showing great potential in her sophomore year at UIS. Paige Polonus is in the net for UIS this season, while she isn’t able to score goals; she plays an important role in UIS’ defense. Polonus hails from Plainfield, Ill., where she found her passion for soccer. Playing... Read more »

Men’s tennis, poor showing at invitational

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 25, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s tennis headed to Grand Rapids, Mich. to play in the Midwest Regional ITS Tournament. This two day tournament consisted of a singles and doubles bracket. Senior Jose Luis Ortega and senior Ben Main paired up for doubles, along with junior Hayden Esker and freshman Cole Buehnerkemper. Ortega... Read more »

Drury slips past men’s defense

Drury slips past men’s defense

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 25, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

Men’s soccer faced the Drury Panthers finishing 1-0, Friday. The stars spent a majority of their game on defense, shortening the gap from last year’s loss of 3-0. The Panthers scored the only goal for the win.  Junior Scott Stiffler scored the goal in the 69th minute of the game, after the Stars... Read more »

UIS volleyball unsuccessful in Maverick Invitational

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 18, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

The UIS volleyball team lost all three of their games Sept. 13 and 14 during an invitational in Mankato, Minnesota. The Prairie Stars did not go down without a fight though, as they were able to win one set in all three matches. The team played Minnesota State and Northern State Friday, losing three... Read more »

Prairie Stars hold off Knights

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 18, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s soccer faced the Bellarmine Knights Sunday Sept. 15 at Kiwanis Stadium. The Knights started the game off with the first... Read more »

First win against Southern Indiana in UIS history for men’s soccer

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 17, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

The UIS men’s soccer team pulled out a victory against the Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles Sept. 13 in Evansville, Indiana. The Stars won 1-0 with the first shot made early in the game and minimal action following, giving UIS a two win streak. The close game had players and fans on edge throughout. Junior... Read more »

Men Prairie Stars live up to home advantage

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 12, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s soccer shut out the Blackburn Beavers... Read more »

Chancellor introduces on-campus job initiative

Daniell Bennett, General Reporter
September 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, News

UIS students may have increased job opportunities available to them in future semesters due to Chancellor Koch’s new jobs initiative. Working with a small faculty task force, Koch hopes to create more on-campus student jobs to help offset student expenditures. Leading in this attempt is Associate... Read more »

Stars excel under pressure

Daniell Bennett, Sports Reporter
September 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

The UIS Prairie Stars started off their season Fri. Sept. 6 with the UIS Invite at TRAC on a positive note, sweeping the Robert Morris Eagles in three straight sets to take the match. Match number two of opening night wasn’t as simple as the first. The Prairie Stars, who lost two tough sets to the... Read more »