Stars rumble with the Greyhounds, earn a 2-2 record for the series

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 30, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS hosted the Indianapolis Greyhounds last weekend, splitting the series with a win on each day. The weekend doubleheader got started off on a competitive note with the first game of the series, which took ten innings before the Greyhounds’ batters went on a five run tear to start the tenth. The... Read more »

UIS basketball coach named

UIS basketball coach named

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 30, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports, Top Stories

Bill Walker was named the third head coach in UIS basketball history, at an introductory press conference late last week.   Walker brings a lot to the table for UIS’ basketball program. In his 25 years of coaching experience, he has been a part of Division I and II teams, and an... Read more »

Softball goes 3-1

Softball goes 3-1

Joe Miller, Sports Editor
April 30, 2014

The Stars hosted the McKendree Bearcats on April 22, and visited Wisconsin-Parkside April 26, splitting with McKendree and taking both wins in Wisconsin. ... Read more »

Weekend ends in a split for UIS baseball

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 23, 2014

The Stars hosted the Parkside Rangers in a two-day doubleheader last weekend, winning their first game on both days before losing their second. Friday afternoon’s opening game ended as a relatively low scoring affair, with UIS taking the win 3-1. The game was highlighted by a solid performance... Read more »

Men’s and women’s teams add two more losses to record

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 16, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS men’s and women’s tennis closed out their regular season on the road this past weekend, dropping all of their matches against McKendree and Southern Indiana. On Friday, the Stars matched up against the Bearcats of McKendree. The men managed to grab two victories, but were shut out the rest... Read more »

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 16, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

In an almost mirror image of last week, UIS softball came out flat on the opening day of their weekend doubleheaders, and then put up two aggressively dominant wins the next day. Going up against Drury on a beautiful Friday afternoon, the Stars looked a bit lackluster. They were able to come up with... Read more »

Prairie Stars come back after losing Friday’s doubleheader

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 16, 2014

Stars’ swept by Indy, sweeps Saint Joe’s

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 9, 2014

After being swept by a strong Indianapolis team on Saturday, the Stars did some sweeping of their own Sunday, allowing only two runs in their doubleheader against Saint Joseph’s. Saturday’s games pitted the Stars against a tough conference opponent in the Indianapolis Greyhounds, who now sit at... Read more »

Unsuccessful weekend for tennis

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 9, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The UIS men and women’s tennis teams had matches against Lewis and Saint Joseph’s over the weekend, but neither could come away with a home win at Washington Park. On Friday, both squads took on the Lewis Flyers, whose women’s team is ranked 47th. The Flyers swiftly overcame the women’s team,... Read more »

UIS meets defeat at home

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The UIS men’s and women’s tennis teams took on the Bellarmine Knights last Friday, but both eventually met defeat. Neither the men nor the women of the Prairie Stars’ squads fared well on the chilly afternoon. The men’s team managed to threaten the Knight’s lead before losing 6-3. Senior... Read more »

About time: Hemp in the U.S.

Joe Miller
March 14, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features

The fate of the hemp plant has been inextricably linked to that of the marijuana plant, despite the fact that hemp cannot get you high. Hemp has had its name dragged through the mud simply because of its family tree for over a century now, despite having an incredible array of uses and future potential.... Read more »

Lady Stars down in overtime thriller

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The women of UIS put in a valiant effort to upset the number 15 ranked Lewis Flyers, but after forcing overtime they were outscored 11 to 6. Alyssa Palmer, senior guard, and Megan Bergerud, senior guard/forward, led the charge as usual, with Palmer scoring 13 with a characteristically steady hand... Read more »

Flyers soar over Stars

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The Stars went up to Romeoville to challenge the number 23 ranked Lewis Flyers last Thursday, and despite battling hard throughout, were beaten 74-66. The Stars went into the game without leading scorer Jacob Williams, but were still able to put up a fight against the Flyers even without his contributions.... Read more »

2 wins break losing streak

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 19, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

UIS ended their seven game losing streak with a three point victory versus Rockhurst, and went on to finish off the William Jewell Cardinals in convincing fashion, 83-65. It was strong defense and aggressive offensive play that ultimately pushed the Stars over the top against Rockhurst. They got to... Read more »

Prairie Stars split on the road

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 19, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

Last week, the Prairie Stars recorded a rare road win against Rockhurst in Kansas City, but were unable to win back-to-back road games, falling to William Jewell 87-65. UIS regained their edge as they went up against Rockhurst Feb. 13 – closing out the game with a 1-point victory. Jamall Millison... Read more »

Player profile: Jacob Williams

Player profile: Jacob Williams

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 12, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

Jacob Williams made his debut for the Prairie Stars this season after transferring from State Fair Community College in Western Missouri and has looked to make an impact as a starter from day one. So far, in the waning weeks of this season, the junior guard/forward leads the team in scoring and rebounding,... Read more »

Prairie Stars outplayed at home

Prairie Stars outplayed at home

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 12, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The ladies of UIS were simply outplayed last Thursday, unable to stop the onslaught of 3-pointers brought down by Missouri S&T’s Toni Knar. It was the poor shooting for the Stars that inevitably led to the tough home loss. The Stars got down early and never managed to tie or take the lead... Read more »

Stars win another tight game at home

Stars win another tight game at home

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 12, 2014

It was Student Affairs night at TRAC on Thursday, and the Stars pulled out another close win for the home crowd, defeating Missouri S&T 85-75. An all-around effort put in by the Prairie Stars that ultimately led to the victory. All five of the starters scored in double figures, with Mark Weems,... Read more »

Super Bowl beatdown

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, News, Sports

The game was over after the first play from the line of scrimmage for the Broncos, at least it seemed like they believed that. After Peyton Manning saw his first snap sail over his head and into their own end zone for a safety, the life was taken out of the entire team, shoulders slumped,... Read more »

Women’s Basketball

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

With the seconds ticking down and the game in the balance, 72-71, Southern Indiana’s Libby Ogden sealed the victory for the Screaming Eagles with a layup with 11 seconds to go. When the game was on the line, it was Southern Indiana that came out on top, 73-72. The Prairie Stars held... Read more »

Men’s Basketball

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

The number 16 ranked Screaming Eagles of Southern Indiana were too much for the Stars to overcome Thursday. The Eagles dominated the game from the opening tip, until the final buzzer in just about every phase. The only statistical categories that the Stars came out on top in were points... Read more »

Prairie Stars pull off last-second comeback

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
January 29, 2014

In a nail-biting, hair-raising, comeback spectacular, the Prairie Stars finished off the Pumas of Saint Joe’s on Saturday. In a game that was tied 10 times, and had the lead change hands 10 times, it was only fitting that the opening play of the first possession was an alley-oop to the Prairie Star’s... Read more »

Bergerud and Palmer join 1,000 point club

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

In the span of little more than a month, two players have reached a milestone that had previously never been attained. On Dec. 3, Megan Bergerud became the first female basketball player in UIS history to score 1,000 plus career points. Her time alone in the club was short-lived, as Alyssa Palmer... Read more »

UIS’ late rally falls short despite strong shooting

Joe Miller, Sports Reporter
January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, Sports

Yesterday the UIS women’s basketball team faced off against Saint Joseph’s, and despite mounting a comeback in the second half, failed to come away with the win. The final score was 73-67 in favor of the Pumas, outscoring the Prairie Stars by three points in each half. Saint Joseph’s leading... Read more »

Prairie Star women’s basketball falls short

Joe Miller, General Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

The women of UIS faced off against the McKendree University Bearcats in Lebanon, Ill. Saturday, falling 71-64. Megan Bergerud led all UIS scorers with 16 points, shooting 7-18 from the floor, and Kelly Elizabeth recorded a double-double in rebounds and points, with 13 boards and 14 points. As a... Read more »

Prairie Stars’ road drought continues

Joe Miller, General Reporter
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Sports

The Prairie Stars failed to come away with a win on the road against Kentucky Wesleyan Tuesday, extending their losing streak away from home to five. The first half of the game was competitive, and the lead changed three times. The Stars shot 44.4 percent from the field, 80 percent from the line and... Read more »

UIS men’s basketball starts season strong at home

Joe Miller, General Reporter
December 11, 2013

The UIS Prairie Stars men delivered their home crowd a solid win over Robert Morris University on Saturday, with a final score of 93-79. Jamall Millison and Jake Williams led the Prairie Stars in points, with 24 and 22 for the game, each shooting 8-12 from the field. Millison’s 24 would mark the... Read more »