A new spin on a ‘Wilde’ tale

Showings of "The Importance of Being Earnest" resume Nov. 5-7

A new spin on a 'Wilde' tale

Tamarra Newbern, News Reporter

UIS Theatre is back to put on another student-run production. This fall they will be presenting “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde, but with a 2015 twist on the 1895 work.

The production will be directed by UIS Associate Professor and Director of Theatre Eric Thibodeaux-Thompson, with production design by UIS Assistant Professor of Theatre Dathan Powell.

The play is a coming-of-age tale of two young Englishmen, Algernon “Algy” Moncrieff and Jack Worthing, who look to spice up their aristocratic lives.

The pair invent alter egos, and each falls in love with a woman – Jack with one Gwendolyn Bracknell, and Algy with one Cecily Cardew.

As Jack and Algy attempt to win over their prospective love interests, they begin to find out who they really are.

With that being stated, Thibodeaux-Thompson expressed that the play will not be set in 1895 London, but rather in the year 2015.

“It’s a mild change,” he said. “We aren’t eager to change everything. Our creative team thought it would be interesting to add, and it can relate to the younger audience.”

UIS students performing in the play include Beatrice Bonner, Andrew Conrad, Diamond Dixon, Christopher Vemagiri Marbaniang, and Alessandro Vazquez.

Then as an added surprise, a UIS alum will be participating in the performance. Alumnus Curtis Meinhardt and community members Melissa Betty and Mary Myers are also part of the cast.

Diamond Dixon expressed excitement for the production and theatre in general, “I really enjoy acting, and look forward to doing my best each performance,” she said.

It won’t just be a one- or two-night production as UIS Theatre has done before. Instead, there will be many performances, on Oct. 30 and 31, Nov. 1, and Nov. 5-7, all located in the Studio Theatre.

The tickets will be priced as follow: $14 for adults, $12 for senior citizens (must be at least 65 years old and possess a picture ID), $10 for UIS faculty/staff, $8 for UIS students (and all other college students) with a valid i-card or college ID card, and $6 for those 17 and under.

Please be aware that there will be a $2 service fee for all tickets bought online through the Sangamon Auditorium that is not included in the prices above. It will be added to each ticket at the time of purchase.