Nursing program holds meet and greet

Students receive information about specifics or nursing program

Dalton Homolka, News Reporter

The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) campus’s College of Nursing held a meet and greet for UIS students interested in applying for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, which is scheduled to start offering classes in the fall of 2016.

A steady stream of curious students were greeted by a screen that listed many of the responsibilities that a nurse has, as well as general information about the nursing profession, in the basement of the Public Affairs Center.

According to Cynthia Reese, director of the UIC College of Nursing program, the turnout for this event was much greater than past nursing program open houses, and most of those in attendance were looking at applying for the fall of 2017.

The program is currently working on hiring professors, as well as coming up with an idea of how a student’s schedule would look. As of right now, a typical schedule for a nursing student would require around 16 credit hours, and a heavy load of traditional, non-lab, classes on Monday and Friday. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday would consist mostly of hands-on labs and clinicals.

Reese stated that she is also currently focused on reaching out to potential applicants, as well as building relationships with the Springfield community. She also hopes to connect with hospitals, high schools, and community colleges in and around Central Illinois in order to increase the number of applicants in future years.

Students seeking more information about the nursing program’s curriculum have a few upcoming opportunities to connect with program faculty and receive help with their application at the College of Nursing’s office in the Human Resources Building, office suite 10.

Prospective applicants can receive help with navigating and completing the UIC College of Nursing application on Friday, Dec. 11, from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Pre-nursing students may have their transcript evaluated for free on Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 9 and 10, also from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Nursing program holds meet and greet