Holi celebration to promote unity- and fun- at UIS

Photographs courtesy of UIS photo

Tamarra Newbern, News Reporter

Holi, or the Holi Festival of Colors, is a Hindu spring festival originating from various legends to inspire people to do good.

According to HoliFestival.org, “Celebration of the various legends associated with Holi reassure the people of the power of the truth as the moral of all these legends is the ultimate victory of good over evil.”

The event is sponsored by Tara Meditation and managed by three organizations on campus, including the Indian Student Organization, Indian Dance Organization, and Indian Student Organization for Cultural Activities

The festival, in essence, is a “color” festival. Students, staff, faculty, and community members that participate in the event should expect dance performances by the IDO, Indian dishes, and of course organic colors.

Participants are encouraged to wear white in order to visibly see every organic color on their clothes during and after the event.

According to Rajeev Kumar Porandla of the Indian Student Organization, the organizations put in requests to SAC to purchase organic color for the festival. However, the organizations are hoping to put in a request for paint instead of the organic color. In India paint is generally used, and therefore the three organizations want to be as accurate as the celebration in India.

The Holi Festival at UIS will take place April 29 on the Quad. The event will begin at 11 a.m. and end at 4 p.m.  After food, and performances everyone will be allowed to throw the organic color until the end of the event.

According to the Holi Festival website, the significance and social effects of Holi is to bring society together and “strengthen the secular fabric of our country. For, the festival is celebrated by non-Hindus also as everybody likes to be a part of such a colorful and joyous festival.”

“The event encourages unity and diversity,” said Vishal Patel, president of the Indian Dance Organization.

Jaideep Bhatt, president of the Indian Student Organization – Cultural, said, “The festival of Holi can be regarded as a celebration of the Colors of Unity & Brotherhood – an opportunity to forget all differences and indulge in unadulterated fun. It has traditionally been celebrated in high spirits without any distinction of caste, creed, color, race, status, or sex.”

“It is one occasion when sprinkling colored powder (‘gulal’) or colored water on each other breaks all barriers of discrimination so that everyone looks the same and universal brotherhood is reaffirmed,” Bhatt added.

All three organizations encourage everyone to join in on the event to learn more about culture and unity.