TRAC celebrates 10 years with REC-a-Palooza event

Attendees enjoy smoothies at REC-a-Palooza

Photo by Mounika Bayavarapu

Photo by Mounika Bayavarapu

The Recreation and Athletic Center (TRAC) hosted its 10-year anniversary celebration, REC-a-Palooza, on Sept.6. The event, co-sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Recreation, began at 7 a.m. and lasted through 11 p.m. that night.

Jay Swenson, assistant director of intramural and club sports,and his colleagues saw that the 10-year anniversary was coming soon and thought a party would be a perfect way to celebrate. The day included tours of TRAC, recreational activities, food trucks, and live music.

Throughout the day, a variety of events,such as fitness assessments, facility tours, and machine orientation,were available inside TRAC. Wacky Wednesday, yard games, and disc golf were a few games students, staff, and faculty could partake in.

Photo by Mounika Bayavarapu
Students enjoy food trucks at the end of the event

The Springfield Art Gallery visited TRAC and conducted an Arts and Crafts event earlier in the day. Genesis Reyes, a UIS freshman, said, “It’s fun. [It’s]a good way to bring people to TRAC that wouldn’t come otherwise.”

Kelsey Hall, freshman, added, “I’ve been enjoying the arts and crafts. I’m excited for the food and food trucks.”

Along with the recreational games, arts and crafts, and facility tours, many people enjoyed sailing with the Island Bay Yacht Club.

Sophomore Melissa Van participated in the sailing event and deemed it to be a lot of fun and educational. Van said, “They let me steer and they taught us a lot of vocab about the yacht. I almost died twice, but it was fun!”

After the first half of the day, Alex Cosner, assistant director of fitness and wellness, gave an update on how the day was coming along. Cosner said, “[It’s] going good. Good numbers. A lot of facility tours today and equipment orientations. It’s cold out,but hopefully [the block party] goes well.” The day of the event saw a drop in temperatures from the week prior, but that didn’t seem to deter attendees.

Photo by Mounika Bayavarapu
Attendee participate in cricket at REC-a-Palooza

The block party lasted from 8–10 p.m. at the REC Park across from the west campus townhouses.

Parked along Vachel Lindsay Drive were four food trucks serving attendees. The street also housed the local pop rock cover band Smash tag.

Across the street at the REC Park, students, staff,and faculty enjoyed mini golf, swings, tether ball, 3v3 basketball tournaments, bubble ball, volleyball, and more.

Photo by Mounika Bayavarapu
Island Bay Yacht Club takes students to kayaking