Filed under Features, News, Top Stories

UIS has new acting dean of students

Student conduct coordinator fills role left by Osiris

Photo by Erica Thomas

Photo by Erica Thomas

Jantzen Eddington, the community standards, and student conduct coordinator, currently serves as the acting dean of students at UIS. Eddington was officially named acting dean June 23, 2017.

Eddington fills the role left by Charles Osiris, former associate vice chancellor and dean of students. Osiris, whom the university hired in February 2016, is no longer affiliated with the university.

The dean of students position is part of the Division of Student Affairs, which is currently undergoing some “reorganization,” according to Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Clarice Ford.

Ford said, “With the reorganization of the Division of Student Affairs, it was in the best interest of our students to have a dean of student without supervisory responsibilities to division entities at this time.”

Eddington will serve as acting dean of students, as well as community standards and student conduct coordinator, for the foreseeable future. The search for a new dean of students is scheduled to begin March 2018.

“I see the role of dean of students as an advocate for students and their success when it is reasonable and appropriate,” Eddington said.

Eddington received his Bachelors of Arts from Valparaiso University, Masters of Arts in Education from McKendree University, and a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Mississippi College.

He has over a decade worth of professional experience working in student conduct, including teaching, coordinating retention programs, and working with campus organizations like Greek Life, Residence Life, and athletics. He also presented on student affairs and higher education at regional and national conferences.

Eddington said he always had a passion for Student Affairs and realized that passion early on in his legal education.  He said,“When you have a passion for something, it’s always with you.”

“Jantzen is a dedicated professional,” Ford said,“ and as acting dean of students, he will continue to provide the quality service students are accustomed to from their dean of students at UIS.”

UIS has new acting dean of students