Founding Faculty Member Dr. Robert Crowley Passes

Photo credit: Dignity Memorial

Photo credit: Dignity Memorial

Photo credit: Dignity Memorial

Dr. Robert Crowley passed away on March 17th, 2018 at the age of 89. Dr. Crowley died peacefully in the presence of his family at Concordia Village in Springfield, Illinois. Dr. Crowley was a charter member of the Sangamon State University faculty beginning in 1970 and retiring in early 2000. Dr. Crowley’s life was full of education, having graduated from Boston Latin School, Boston College, Harvard University Graduate School, and the University of Michigan. Dr. Crowley’s career was focused on teaching, though he volunteered for the Army and the YMCA as well. He often enjoyed playing the piano and singing in choirs.

Dr. Robert Crowley’s memorial service will be held on Saturday, April 7th, at 10:30 AM at the Concordia Village Chapel in Springfield, Illinois. The Crowley family request that individuals wishing to honor the late Dr. Crowley may donate, in lieu of flowers or gifts, to either the UIS Robert Crowley Scholarship Fund or any other charitable organization. As Dr. Crowley spent his life teaching, volunteering, and helping others, fitting that the end of his life would present yet another opportunity to make a difference. 

Robert accomplished a great deal in his lifetime and has influenced the lives of others to this day. Robert Crowley was a loving husband, father, brother, grandfather, friend, professor, and volunteer. He will be missed by his family, friends, and all who were acquainted with him.