Students get spooked with the Japanime Club

The UIS Japanime club hosts their second Slender Man Scavenger Hunt

Tamarra Newbern, News Reporter

In August of 2012, the Japanime club was established at UIS. Any student may join at any given time to enjoy anime, traditional Japanese food, and meet various other students who share the same interest as them.

But the club isn’t just focused on anime. This year, on Oct. 30, the organization hosted its second annual Slender Man Scavenger Hunt on campus.

The event mimicked the Slender Man-based video game, “Slender: The Eight Pages,” as students hunted for various pages in different locations while evading the clutches of Slender Man. Participants were each given a map and possible riddles to figure out the locations of the pages.

For those who are unaware, Slender Man is a mythical paranormal figure that has supposedly existed for centuries and has been said to exist in various regions.

Slender Man resembles a man with extremely long, slender arms and legs. It is also said that Slender Man has long, black tentacles that he can extend from his back, yet some have argued that these are always visible.

He is described as wearing a black suit and tie, with a pale, ghostly face. He seems to not have eyes, nose, or a mouth, or even looks like he has gauze or cloth wrapped around his face.

After the scavenger hunt, awards were given to those in first, second, and third place.

Club president Bianca Bautista expressed before the event that the scavenger hunt is simply fun and games. “It’s not as scary with friends,” she said.

For students interested in joining the Japanime Club or participating in future events, the club meets every Friday in PAC F from 6 to 8 p.m.

Students can also email Bautista at [email protected] or visit the Japanime Club Facebook page at facebook.com/japanimespringfield.