Filed under News, Sports

UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

Photo Courtesy UIS Athletics

Photo Courtesy UIS Athletics

KIRKSVILLE, MO – The University of Illinois Springfield (UIS) women’s soccer team and Truman State University battle to a 1-1 draw during Sunday’s Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) matchup.

“Overall, the girls put in a really good performance,” UIS coach Erin Egolf said. “Truman State is a quality team and for us to go toe-to-toe with them is a huge compliment to us.”

Truman State (0-2-2, 0-1-1) outshot UIS (2-1-2, 0-1-1) by a 14-to-13 margin and held a 7-to-5 advantage in shots on goal.

Delaney Kooken fired a shot from eight yards out that found the back of the net, during the opening minute of the second period. Erin Chynoweth provided the assist.

During the 72nd minute, the Prairie Stars brought an aggressive offense. Taylor Mraz connected a pass to Karisa Rogers to create the one-on-one situation and Rogers delivered the equalizer.

Both teams played solid defense through the overtime periods. The Bulldogs and the Prairie Stars each had a shot on goal during the first overtime, while the Prairie Stars added another during the second overtime.

UIS goalkeeper Courtney Johnson faced seven shots and came up with six saves while Truman State’s Katie Mattingly rejected four of the five shots she faced. Rogers, Regina Bolin, Erin Bolskar, Meghan Delaney and Kayla Meyer each registered a shot on goal. Kelsey Murphy provided two shots on target for the Bulldogs while Kooken, Hanna Hickey, Isabel Kurzban, Allison Lockett and Megan Oostendorp each added a shot on goal.

“[Sunday’s] game should be the standard to which we hold ourselves each and every match. I’m really proud of the way the girls competed; we have to continue to play at a high level and have high expectations.”

The Prairie Stars play in three matches next week. UIS travels to Elgin, IL to take on Judson University (0-5) on Wednesday at 3 p.m. The Prairie Stars return to GLVC play when they host Drury University (3-1-1, 1-1) on Friday at 5 p.m. and Missouri S&T (0-3, 0-2) on Sunday at 12 p.m. “We have been on the road quite a bit these past three weeks, so we are super excited to play at home next weekend.”

PRAIRIE STAR NOTES: Among UIS Division II career leaders, Rogers moved to into fifth for points (17) and into a third-place tie for goals (7)…Mraz is now tied for sixth with five career assists. Copyright ©2017 University of Illinois-Springfield

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

UIS professor discusses major issues in the study and practice of law

• Campus News

Debate over compensation arise at campus senate meeting

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

News

Correcting the Campus Cat Conundrum

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

News

When Heritage is Hate

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

News

UIS enrollment drops for fall 2017

• Campus News

Student Government Association holds first meeting

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

Archives

TRAC celebrates 10 years with REC-a-Palooza event

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

News

The truth about fake news

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

News

The importance of moderation

• UIS and Truman State battle to a draw

Questions and answers about Hispanic Heritage Month

UIS and Truman State battle to a draw