The HLC lets reaccreditation be

Cecilia Cornell, Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education, presents on HLC

Sadie Castro

Sadie Castro

UIS held an open forum on Jan. 24 and 30 to inform faculty, staff, and students about the upcoming visit from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) for UIS’s reaccreditation process.
Students may remember the email that was sent to them in the fall of 2017 that mentioned the HLC visit. The primary focus of the forum is to inform faculty, staff, and students of the upcoming HLC visit that will take place on Feb. 19 and 20. It is to ensure that faculty, students, and staff understand why the HLC is coming to UIS, and to also ensure that everyone understands what the HLC may ask those that attend or work at UIS. One main concerned was that the HLC might disrupting classes or meetings, which it will not be doing.
“They want to make sure that we’re supportive of student’s success,” said Cecilia Cornell, Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education. “But they are not here to trip us up.”
The process of HLC visiting campus is an important step of the reaccreditation process. It is to ensure that UIS is doing everything in its power to ensure that students attending are succeeding and thriving within its campus.
The reaccreditation of UIS is also equally important to students that are attending UIS. “If you want to transfer courses a lot of institutions want to transfer courses from an accredited institution,” said Cornell. “For financial aid purposes you need to be an accredited institution. This is important to those who are receiving or hope to receive financial aid accreditation.”
“Mostly it’s just a sign that you’re at a high-quality institution that is doing the best it can to support student’s success.”
Another open forum will take place on Feb. 2 from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm at PAC H. Everyone is invited to attend to ask questions about the HLC or learn about what the HLC will be doing on campus.

The HLC lets reaccreditation be