Dennis Papini tapped for provost position

Dennis Papini speaks at an event for SDSU.
Photo provided by SDSU

Dennis Papini speaks at an event for SDSU. Photo provided by SDSU

After a lengthy search process, Chancellor Susan Koch announced Friday, March 24 that Dr. Dennis Papini had been selected to become the next provost and vice chancellor for Academic Affairs at UIS. The decision came after four finalists visited campus earlier in March to meet with students, faculty, and staff for the provost position.

Papini comes to UIS from South Dakota State University (SDSU), where he served as the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences beginning in 2012. Papini received his doctorate of philosophy from West Virginia University.

In a statement to UIS News, Koch said that Papini “received strong support from the provost search committee” for his “listening skills, budgeting background, and results-oriented planning experience.” 

She also thanked the members of the search committee, including co-chairs Dr. Jorge Villegas and Dr. Jeff Lorber, and Executive Assistant to the Chancellor Pat Sanchez.

As provost, Papini will become the chief academic officer at the university as well as the second-ranking administrative authority on campus. In this position, he will work with the chancellor and the deans of the four academic colleges at UIS to oversee academic strategies.

“I look forward to working with Chancellor Koch and faculty colleagues at UIS as we continue efforts to provide our students with rigorous and appropriately challenging academic experiences both in and of out of the classroom,” Papini said in a quote to UIS News. 

According to the same article, Papini is an Illinois native from Orion and a graduate of Western Illinois University in Macomb.

Papini will succeed James Ermatinger, who has served as the interim provost since Lynn Pardie retired from the position in May 2016. Papini is scheduled to begin work on July 1 pending formal approval from the University of Illinois Board of Trustees.