Impending Active Shooter Drill

The UIS Campus Police, in conjunction with a UIS planning committee and the Illinois Emergency Management System, will host a campus-wide active shooter drill on Feb. 8. The drill is meant to ensure that students, faculty, and staff are aware of the protocol in this type of emergency situation. The drill will also inform those who may not have previously been aware of the proceedings, and it gives all campus-goers the opportunity to go through the motions properly. The outcome of each drill informs the University of the strong and weak points that may manifest in an active shooter situation with regard to readiness. This allows room for improvement so that UIS remains a safe place. As stated by Chancellor Koch, there will be no gunshots fired or weapons brought out during the drill.

According to last year’s evaluators, the active shooter drill in April 2018 was relatively successful in terms of overall participation. Most students, faculty, and staff locked the doors and “hid” as instructed, away from the line of sight. Email, text message and social media notifications were successfully active as well. However, there were a few weaknesses found. Well. Some of the speakers outside did not project enough sound. Some of the doors were unable to be locked and there were students, faculty and staff in some areas who might not have found out about the drill or chose to ignore it. These are all areas where evaluators may look for improvement for this upcoming drill.

For those who are unfamiliar with the protocol and would like to prepare more for this active shooter drill, there will be an active shooter training class available courtesy of the UIS Police Department. This (roughly) hour-long class will be held in Brookens Auditorium at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, February 8. If anyone cannot attend this class on that date or at that time, a private training session may be arranged. Contact Lieutenant Ross Owens at (217)-206-7509 for scheduling. The UIS Campus Police may be contacted by email at [email protected]

Impending Active Shooter Drill